The extensive range of Ni-MH Batteries offered by us is based on latest technology and conforms to set industry standards. These Batteries have similar characteristics of the sealed nickel-cadmium batteries with a slight difference. In stead of cadmium, hydrogen is used as the active element at a hydrogen-absorbing negative electrode (anode), which is made from a metal hydride. The alloys of lanthanum and rare earths that serve as a solid source of reduced hydrogen are oxidized to form protons. The electrolyte is a alkaline potassium hydroxide. NiMH batteries are widely used high voltage automotive applications having cell voltage of 1.2 Volts
- Accept both higher charge and discharge rates and micro-cycles thus helping applications which were previously not practical
- The components of NiMH batteries include a cathode of Nickel-hydroxide, an anode of Hydrogen absorbing alloys and a Potassium-hydroxide (KOH) electrolyte
- Like NiCd batteries, Nickel-metal Hydride batteries are susceptible to a "memory effect" although to a lesser extent
- These are more expensive than lead-acid and NiCd batteries, but they are considered better for the environment
- High energy density
- Typical cycle life is 500 cycles (less than Nicads).
- Can be deep cycled.
- Using NiMH batteries, up to 3000 cycles at 100 % Depth of Discharge (DOD) have been demonstrated. At lower depths of discharge, for example at 4 % DOD, more than 350.000 cycles can be expected.
- Robust - NiMH batteries also tolerate over charge and over discharge conditions and this simplifies the battery management requirements.
- Low internal impedance
- Flat discharge characteristic (but falls off rapidly at the end of the cycle)
- Wide operating temperature range
- Rapid charge possible in 1 hour
- Trickle charging can not normally be used with NiMH batteries since overcharging can cause deterioration of the battery. Chargers should therefore incorporate a timer to prevent overcharging.
- Because of potential pressure build up due to gassing they usually incorporate a re-sealable vent valve
- Reconditioning is possible.
- Environmentally friendly (No cadmium mercury or lead)
- Low cost consumer applications
- Electric razors
- Mobile phones
- Medical instruments and equipment
- Automotive batteries